Many web developers are looking for an easy way to block certain countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes from accessing their Joomla website or specific pages / areas on their website (such as login or registration) while still allowing IP address / IP range exclusions (such as search engine bots). With our Joomla plugin, you are now able to block access to your website based on Geo-location information. Simply install the plugin, enter the areas you would like to block, and you're done. Blocked visitors will either see a basic textual block message or they will be redirected to another URL; both of which are configured in the settings.
On the other hand, if you have a list of only approved countries, states / provinces, regions, zip codes / postal codes, and/or area codes, you may enter those to specifically allow them and block all other areas (new in version 1.1).
- Apply to the entire website or to a specified subset of pages (new in version 1.4)
- Block website access by country
- Block website access by US States or provinces
- Block website access by Zip Codes or Postal Code (including the ability to enter an entire range)
- Block website access by Telephone Area Codes (including the ability to enter an entire range)
- Alternatively, allow only a list of pre-approved areas and block all others
- Exclude IP addresses or range of IP addresses from being blocked using comma separated values, dash separated ranges, CIDR ranges, and wildcards (new in version 1.2)
- Check visitor's IP address once every 15 minutes instead on every page load to improve speed and lessen server loads (new in version 1.1)
- Display blocked message to website visitor or redirect blocked website visitor to another internal or external URL. NOTE: If you've setup the plugin to block the 'Entire Joomla Website' and you want to redirect to an internal URL, make sure you exclude this particular URL from blocking by placing it in the 'Pages to Exclude Restrictions' text box. (new in version 1.6)
- External server look-ups mean you get the most up-to-date information without any manual updating or subscription fees
By default, the plugin uses an external server to look-up geographic IP address location data which is updated once a month. The database is over 99.5% accurate on a country level and 79% accurate on a city level for the US within a 25 mile radius. This requires that your web server supports cURL on port 80 (most web servers do). The plugin also gives you the option of manually downloading the geographic IP location database periodically and uploading to your own server. This allows you to use a more accurate version of the GeoIP database. However, the external server look-up is very fast, very accurate, and is adequate for most users.
The plugin has been programmed and tested with Joomla 1.5, 1.6, 1.7 and 2.5. Feel free to test in other versions of Joomla and report back to us so we can update our information. Feel free to test in other versions of Joomla and report back to us so we can update our information. If you have problems with the plugin in other versions of Joomla and would like us to update the plugin for your version of Joomla, contact us.
Optional access to the external server which looks up the geographic IP address location data requires a monthly payment of $5 per month (or $48 per year) per domain to cover bandwidth and server resources. If you choose to run the plugin using the local server option, you will need to obtain a copy of the GeoIP database (paid and free versions available) from MaxMind and periodically manually update it yourself.
Sign-up today to gain access to the plugin (v1.7 released 2013/03/13) and begin your subscription to the external server data feed. Also listed on The Joomla! Extensions Directory (JED).
2012/01/03 - Initial Release, v1.0.
2012/02/05 - Modified plugin to only check visitor's IP address once every 15 minutes instead on every page load to improve speed and lessen server loads. Also added option to allow OR block specific codes, v1.1.
2012/02/06 - Added ability to exclude IP addresses or IP address ranges from being checked, v1.2.
2012/02/07 - Bug fixes. Also released Joomla 1.6, 1.7, and 2.5 compatible version.
2013/01/01 - Bug fixes. Added ability to block or allow access to certain URLs rather than the entire website, v1.4.
2013/02/20 - Bug fix related to the local server option when used with a GeoIP Country or GeoIP Region database file, v1.5.
2013/03/10 - Feature enhancement; added 'Pages to Exclude Restrictions' text box which can be used to exclude blocking on certain pages when the plug-in scope is set to 'Apply to Entire Joomla Website', v1.6.
2013/03/13 - Bug fixes. Updated to allow for the integration with CloudFlare, v1.7
2013/05/04 - Updated external server feed URL. Bug fixes related to timeouts and subscription expired error messages when plugin is unable to connect to external server feed URL, v1.8.
GeoBlocker Joomla Plugin + Unlimited GeoIP Data Look-ups - $5.00/mo (or $48/yr) + $19.95 purchase fee.